3 tips for a Healthier Summer Salad
By: Natasha Jones
Summer salads are a great way to enjoy fresh, local and seasonal produce and boost your daily intake of veggies and fruits. But did you know that not all nutrients from vegetables are readily bioavailable?
Here are 3 useful tips to help you get the most nutrition from your summer salads:
- Wash your produce before you chop it to keep the nutrients from washing away.
- Use extra virgin olive oil in your salad dressing to increase the absorption of fat soluble vitamins and phytonutrients, like beta carotene, in your veggies.
- Use vitamin C containing foods such as citrus or strawberries in your salads or dressings to increase the bioavailability of non-heme iron found in dark leafy greens.
Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons local honey
- 1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Get creative and have fun making summer salads by using a variety of greens, veggies, nuts and fruit.